This dish is low in carbohydrates, high in protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals so is perfect for a low carb meal or with rice/mashed potatoes for a recovery meal.
This all-in-one soup is packed with the right nutrients for a complete post exercise recovery. Prawns and lentils provide a quality source of protein with mixed vegetables, herbs and spices delivering a rich flavoursome soup. This vegetarian soup is low carbohydrate and could be useful as a high fibre non-training day meal. Alternatively the omega 3 rich soup could be reheated as a heart-warming lunchbox meal served with whole wheat bread or salad.
– 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
– 3 onions, finely chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and chopped
– 1 courgette, finely chopped
– ⅓ head of red cabbage, chopped
– 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
– 2 tins of tomatoes
– 1 kg frozen prawns, cooked
– 300 g of dried lentils, soaked overnight
– 2 tsp. turmeric
– 2 tsp. paprika
– 1 tsp. thyme
– 1 tsp. English mustard powder
– 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
– 1 tsp. oregano
– ½ chilli pepper, de-seeded and chopped
– 1 handful fresh coriander
- In a large pot on medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in coconut oil until soft before adding courgette, carrots and red cabbage, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stirring regularly add tomatoes, red wine vinegar, paprika, turmeric, mustard, thyme, oregano and chilli pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes on a high heat.
- Add the prawns and lentils, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with a chopped fresh coriander or store in the refrigerator for two days.