Eggs and potatoes flavoured with garlic, onions, coconut oil, salt and pepper is a simple but delicious recipe. It can be cooked up quickly as a nutritious lunch or a quick healthy dinner.
“Hash” the name is derived from the French verb hacher (to chop). In the case this recipe it contains chopped potatoes, onions and spinach that is flavoured with salt, pepper and topped off with some cheese.
– 750g mini white potatoes
– 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
– 1 small onion, thinly sliced
– 1 Tbsp. butter
– ¼ tsp. salt
– ¼ tsp. pepper
– 4 cloves garlic, chopped
– 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
– 100g coarsely shredded spinach
– 100g cheddar cheese, grated
– 3 eggs
– ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes until fork-tender. This will take roughly 10 minutes. Drain, let cool slightly and cut into quarters.
2. Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil over a medium-low heat in large non-stick pan. Add the onion and cook until softened, stirring often. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3. In the same pan, melt the butter over a medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until light golden brown. Sprinkle with half each of the salt and pepper. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes until tender. Add the spinach and onion and cook until the spinach is wilted. Stir in the cheese until melted.
4. Add a little oil to a separate clean pan and cook the eggs over medium heat until whites are set but yolks are still soft, or until almost hard if you prefer.
5. Serve the eggs over the hash with a little cayenne pepper sprinkled over them.