This carrot cake recipe may be a little different to the ones you are used to trying but it’s an excellent alternative to the ones with added sugar.
This cake is ideal for days you are active and want something nutritious, high in energy but still feel like a treat. Carrots have been used for centuries to sweeten meals when sugar was in short supply. We certainly don’t have that problem nowadays but carrot cake still remains a popular treat.
– 150 g ground almonds
– 3 Tbsp. coconut flour
– 60 g crushed pecan nuts
– 4 Tbsp. desiccated coconut
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– 1 tsp. nutmeg
– 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
– 3 medium size carrots
– 1 tsp. vanilla essence
– 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
– 3 eggs
– 2 Tbsp. honey
1. Mix the dry together ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a blender or food processor, blend the remaining ingredients: peanut butter, eggs, coconut oil, honey, vanilla essence and carrots.
3. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a wet dough.
4. Pour into a loaf tin lined with baking paper.
5. Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180°C and bake for 30 minutes. If a toothpick inserted into the middle of cake comes out clean, your cake is ready. Otherwise, return to the oven and repeat this test every 5 minutes.
6. Once ready, allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.