The Moroccan Quinoa Salad is a dish high in fibre and in healthy fats and is perfect for lunch and dinner on a carb-loading day.
This Moroccan-style Quinoa Salad is packed with flavour and rich in carbohydrates. Quinoa is an ancient seed that is naturally gluten-free, rich in protein compared to other seeds and grains, has a low glycaemic index. This salad works well as a side on a main meal as alternative to pasta, rice, etc if you are looking for some variety. As a snack, it would well on carb loading days and works well in a lunchbox so can be eaten on-the-go.
– 1 tbsp. coconut oil or olive oil
– 1 onion, chopped finely
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
– 185 g quinoa
– 250 mL of water
– 240 g cooked chickpeas
– 10 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
– 1 pack coriander, chopped roughly
– 5 tbsp. sesame seeds
– 5 tbsp. sunflower seeds
– 1 tbsp. cumin seeds
– 1 tbsp. turmeric
– 1 tbsp. salt
A. COOKING THE QUINOA
- Fry the onions and garlic over in the coconut oil or olive oil (medium heat) for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the quinoa and mix it with the onions and garlic (low heat) for 1 minute.
- Add the water and the turmeric (high temperature) put the lid on the pot
- Bring to boil and once boiling turn down the temperature and leave to simmer for 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
B. TOASTING THE SEEDS
- Toast the sunflower, sesame and cumin seeds in a frying pan (low heat) for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Be sure to toss so that they don’t burn.
C. MIXING ALL THE INGREDIENTS
- In a mixing bowl put the chickpeas, toasted seeds, quinoa, chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped coriander and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients together well, and serve.