Grain Free Seed Bread is a great alternative to grain based bread. It is made from flaxseed and eggs and is rich in protein and healthy fats as well as being high in fibre. It can be used as a tasty alternative to regular bread; particularly for low carbohydrate and gluten/grain free meals.
Made with ground flaxseed and almond this bread is a great alternative to grain based bread. The gluten free bread also includes eggs, milk and seeds or nuts to provide a quality source of protein and healthy fats. In this recipe we used high fibre pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds but you can use whatever mixed seeds or nuts you have to hand. As a low carbohydrate bread it could be eaten as a tasty alternative to regular bread on non-training days with soup or salads or as a vehicle for spreadable snacks like nut butter or honey.
– 140 g milled flaxseed
– 100g ground almonds
– 5 eggs
– 150 g mixed seeds OR chopped mixed nuts
– 2 Tbsp. milk OR almond OR goats OR coconut milk
– 5 Tbsp. olive oil OR coconut oil, melted
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. honey
– 3 tsp. baking powder
1. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. For chopped nuts, you can purchase mixed nuts and briefly mix in a blender into smaller pieces.
2. Whisk eggs, and combine with the remaining wet ingredients.
3. Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients, and mix well to form a dough.
4. Transfer to a greased loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180˚C for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool on a wire rack, and serve.