Flaxseed Porridge with Cocoa Nibs is a great low carb, omega-3 and protein rich alternative to traditional oat porridge. The flaxseed and chia seeds provide plenty of healthy fats and the cocoa nibs give you an antioxidant boost. This porridge is a great breakfast or snack idea.
An alternative to oat based porridge this low carb version is rich in high quality protein and antioxidants. The gluten free porridge is made using flaxseed and chia seeds which are an excellent source of fibre and omega 3 fatty acids. In addition cocoa nibs are a rich source of antioxidants and magnesium which both help to support muscle recovery and the immune system. This quick and easy porridge would work well on a non-training day as high protein breakfast or a satiating desert. It could also be a prepared as pre bed recovery snack.
– 2 Tbsp. Flax seed
– 2 Tbsp. Chia seeds (ground or whole)
– 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
– 250 mL milk/almond milk (or 100 mL coconut milk and 150 mL water)
– 1 scoop whey protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
– 1 Tbsp. cocoa nibs
1. In a pot on a low heat, combine all ingredients except cacao nibs.
2. Stir frequently for 5 minutes or until desired thickness is achieved.
3. Remove from the heat and serve with cacao nibs sprinkled on top.