This is a really versatile recipe that you can use for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s particularly suited to cold days of winter when you are looking for something warm and deeply satisfying.
Did you know that tomatoes contain an antioxidant called lycopene? Lycopene is a pigment that helps give red fruits and vegetables their colour. Studies have found that lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that can help to prevent damage caused by free radicals that increase the risk of disease.
– 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 400g tomatoes, chopped
– 2 handfuls of spinach
– 200g home cooked ham, chopped
– 2 large eggs
– Cayenne Pepper
– 2-3 tablesp. grated cheese
1. Pre heat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C (350°F).
2. Heat the coconut oil in a medium sized pan.
3. Add the chopped onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes till brown.
4. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce has started to thicken. Add the spinach and mix it until it becomes soft. Stir in the ham.
5. Make 2 hollows in the tomato sauce and crack your eggs into them. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper and transfer to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
6. Add some grated cheese on top and serve.