Looking for a high protein low carbohydrate snack with good quality fats? Protein bars are a great snack for managing appetite and a sweet tooth.
These bars are high in protein, fibre and healthy fats making them suitable as a rest day snack. They can be eaten in the mid-morning, afternoon or even with a cup of tea in the evening as a treat.
– 8 scoops (250 g) of vanilla whey protein powder
– 100 g ground almonds
– 3 Tbsp. milled flaxseed and brazil nuts
– 3 Tbsp. milled chia seeds
– 5 Tbsp. toasted seed mix
– 75 g coconut flour (not flakes)
– 2 Tbsp. desiccated coconut
– 4 Tbsp. almond butter
– 100 mL milk
– 60 g 90% dark chocolate
1. Break the chocolate into small pieces by giving it a few seconds in a blender.
2. Mix this with all the other dry ingredients to make a large dry mix.
3. Add milk (whatever variety you like) and almond butter and use your hands to knead the mix.
4. Add extra milk (Tbsp. at a time) if needed, but use as little liquid as possible while still being able to mix the ingredients. The key is being able to keep the mix relatively dry while still having it bind.
5. If you like these a little sweeter, add 1 or 2 Tbsp. honey at this step.
6. Press the mix into a baking tin lined with baking paper or cling film, and pack down tightly.
7. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into the desired number of bars (e.g. 12) using a sharp knife.
8. Spread the bar out, standing them on their narrow side and cover with a towel allowing them to air-dry overnight.
9. Wrap in tinfoil and refrigerate for up to 7 day.