Broccoli and Ham Egg pie will fit the bill if you are looking for a high protein low carbohydrate dish that will fill you up while providing an abundance of fibre and essential nutrients.
This is a great recipe if you have a family to feed and you want to make sure they are getting a good serving of protein and nutrient rich vegetables. This bake also works as a great vegetarian dish by simply leaving out the ham.
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 125 g roughly chopped broccoli florets
– 8 medium mushrooms, roughly chopped
– 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
– 8 large eggs
– 2 Tbsp. whole milk
– 300 g home cooked ham, diced
– 125g mozzarella cheese, grated
– 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
– Pinch of sea salt
– ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5, 190°C (375°F).
2. Place the chopped onion, broccoli and mushrooms in a non-stick pan and fry with 2 Tbsp. of water.
3. If the broccoli hasn’t softened, cook on high for another minute. Drain off any liquid, and set aside.
4. Spread coconut oil along the inside of the casserole dish and add in the vegetables. Allow them to cool slightly while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
5. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until slightly frothy. Add the milk, and whisk to combine. With a spatula, stir in the ham, grated cheese, thyme, salt and pepper.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the casserole dish while bringing some of the vegetables to the surface
7. Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes, until the eggs are cooked through.