Boiled eggs with hummus are most commonly known as “Deviled Eggs”! This is a great snack or party dish and they are very easy to make. They are hugely versatile and can be flavoured with any preferred spices.
The term “deviled”, in reference to food, was in use in the 18th century. In the 19th century, it came to be used most often with spicy food, including eggs prepared with mustard, pepper or other ingredients stuffed in the yolk cavity.
– 400g chickpeas
– 3 Tbsp. olive oil
– 2 cloves of garlic
– Salt and freshly ground black pepper
– 5 eggs
For the hummus
1. Place the chickpeas in a blender with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
2. Remove from the blender and place in a bowl.
For the eggs
3. Boil the eggs till hard, roughly 8 minutes from when the water begins to boil.
4. Let the eggs cool then remove the shell, cut in half and scoop out the egg yolk into a bowl.
5. Fill egg white halves with hummus mixture and place on a platter then sprinkle with black pepper or paprika. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.