Banana and walnut bread is a great healthy treat or snack option around training.
This banana and walnut bread is a healthy alternative to regular bread, providing a sweet nutty taste but without any added sugar. The recipe uses oats to provide the bulk of the carbohydrate, while the banana, cinnamon and vanilla essence provide the sweet taste to compliment the roasted nuts. The addition of nuts and seeds provides a good source of healthy fats. The banana bread can used as part of a pre-exercise snack or as a lunchbox snack on a carb loading day. Alternatively, toast one slice and serve with regular butter or nut butter as a wholesome and tasty snack.
– 120 g rolled oats
– 80 g shelled walnuts
– 50 g chopped almonds
– 4 Tbsp. milled chia and blueberry mix
– 2 Tbsp. ground almonds
– 4 Tbsp. desiccated coconut
– 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 1 tsp. cinnamon
– 3 eggs
– 2 bananas
– 1 tsp. vanilla essence
1. Mix the dry together ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Blend the eggs, bananas and vanilla essence until smooth.
3. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a wet dough.
4. Pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper.
5. Place in a pre-heated oven at 180oC and bake for 35-40 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven when a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.