This is the perfect low carbohydrate evening dish for a non-exercise day. Aubergine Lasagne is a great alternative to pasta based dishes. It is gluten free, high in fibre and very filling.
It can be easily turned into a vegetarian dish by removing the minced beef. The aubergine in the lasagne becomes tender when cooked in a thick tomato sauce and develops a rich, complex flavour.
– 1 large aubergine, thinly sliced
– 3 giant collard green leaves, stems removed
– 1 red bell pepper
– 1 yellow bell pepper
– 10 button mushrooms
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 lb. minced beef
– 12 large tomatoes, diced
– 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
– 1 Tbsp. fresh basil
– Splash of red wine
– 3 Tbsp. crème fraiche
– 1 Tbsp. tomato puree
– 1 large ball fresh mozzarella
– Salt and pepper
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Virgin coconut oil
1. Blend the tomatoes with a splash of red wine, crème fraiche, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, paprika and tomato puree. Keep some of this sauce to spread over the final layer.
2. In a pan on medium heat with 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, cook the minced beef for 5 to 10 minutes until slightly brown.
3. Pour in the tomato sauce, and stir through the beef. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
1. Pre-heat oven to 190°C. Grease a glass dish with coconut oil.
2. Brush aubergine slices with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Make a single layer on the bottom of the dish.
3. Layer collard greens over the aubergine slices.
4. Divide the meat sauce mixture in half and spoon over the collard greens.
5. Top with half of the mushroom slices.
6. Repeat: eggplant, collard greens, meat sauce, and mushrooms
7. Top the final layer with aubergine slices and cover with remaining tomato sauce.
8. Layer some mozzarella cheese on top for extra taste.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, slice and enjoy!